For more detailed information about the licensing process and other Firearms Law related questions, please visit the WA Police website directly.


Q: How do I go about applying for a firearms license?

A: The actual application is done through the police website, please follow this link for more details.

You will need:

  • A serviceability certificate- the seller has to provide this
  • If its your first application, you need to do the Safety Awareness test. You can do this in store at Claremont Firearms. Follow this link for the Firearms safety booklet
  • Property letter (for open license/recreational hunting) or Club support letter (for club purposes)
  • Proof of installation of approved gun cabinet/safe


Q: Can I get a license for a handgun?

A: Yes, but only for club purposes. This allows you to shoot at your club, and only travel with it from your home to the club and back.


Q: How long does it take to get the license?

A: There is no set time and it depends on various factors such as information provided and category of firearms. Average return times of 6-8 weeks for an original application and 4-6 weeks for an addition can be expected.


Q: How many firearms can I own?

A: There is no legal limit to the number of licences a person may have. However each additional application will be assessed for a valid reason/need for that firearm.


Q: Do I have to get a property letter for each license application?

A: Each licence application has to be supported by a property letter (or club support letter). It is possible to have several calibers on one letter. Please follow this link for a blank Property Letter.


Q: How big does the property have to be?

A: The property size has to be relative to the caliber that is being applied for. The location of the property, its surroundings and type of vermin on the property are considered during the application. Please follow this link for a general guideline.


Q: What if I don’t know anyone with a property?

A: You can purchase property letters. While Claremont Firearms does not sell any letters, we can give you details of persons who do. Please contact us for more information.


Q: What happens to my deposit if my application gets rejected?

A: Claremont Firearms will refund you the full deposit if your licence has been rejected. Please be aware that if your firearm was specially ordered in for you, we may hold on to that deposit until that firearm has been sold again.


Q: How do I co-licence a firearm?

A: A co-licence application is also done through the police website. You will need a serviceability certificate for the firearm. This can be obtained in store at a cost of $25. For this the current license holder has to bring his firearm into the store with his valid license and ID card. If the firearm is deemed serviceable we will issue the certificate.


Q: Do you offer lay-bys and how for how long?

A: Yes we offer lay-bys. The standard period is 3 months, unless arranged otherwise.


Q: Do I need my licence to purchase ammunition?

A: Yes you need your valid WA firearms licence (the paper) and your Firearms ID card (the red one) or drivers license. Please be aware you can only purchase ammunition for the calibers on your license.


Q: What are the different types of licences?

A: The different types of licences are as follows:


Q: What are the different Firearm Categories?

A: The Firearms are divided into the following 5 categories: A, B, C, E, H. For a detailed breakdown of these categories please follow this link


Q: What are the storage requirements for my Firearms?

A: Firearms need to be stored in a safe/gun cabinet that meets the WA safety standards. Ammunition is to be kept in a separate lockable compartment. For more information on the regulations as well as mounting requirements, please follow this link.